The Simple Way to Convert a Line to a Shape in Illustrator
The day I found this function I was genuinely happy. It is great for outlining dotted lines, making interesting shapes, creating rounded corner triangles and combining strokes with shapes.
1. Select your line or stroke
2. OBJECT > PATH > OUTLINE STROKE
3. Use the UNITE (1st option) in your Pathfinder to combine the shapes if required. Easy!
*This also works when you have a stroke on an object.
Scaling a Shape in Illustrator That Isn’t Even
When scaling a shape in Illustrator, a circle or square is simple, Shift + Option and drag in. But what about an uneven shape?
1. Select your shape, or shapes that wish you to either expand or contract.
2. OBJECT > PATH > OFFSET PATH brings up a dialogue box
3. In the dialogue box you can specify positive or negative numbers, to determine where you want to go. (Remember to tick preview).
4. Hit OK and your internal or external shape is there, along with your original.
5. As an extra step, right click (or ctrl click) to MAKE GUIDES, will turn your shape into a Guide. This is great for making borders to work with inside a shape. Note when you do this, your new shape disappears, simple copy paste before doing this to keep the original.